Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram

Change of name & Statutory agreements

A Change of name deed or a statutory declaration is a standard legal document, with formal wording, filled in by the person making the deed poll it is signed in presence of a witness.

A change of name deed confirms the identity of a person and carries sufficient legal authority to be recognized. The witness need not be a solicitor but can be anyone over the age of 18 independent of the person changing their name.
In England, Northern Ireland and Wales, a deed of change of name will not change the name on a birth certificate. For instance, when applying for a passport, both the certificate and the deed would need to be presented as documents of identity.

A change of name deed may be required to confirm to official agencies that you no longer wish to be known by your birth name or to confirm that you have been known by a name other than that on your birth certificate.


We do our best to ensure that you are fully aware of the cost of your case.

On matters that are agreed it is usual for us to agree a fixed amount so you are certain of the costs at the beginning of the case.

On matters that are not agreed we provide a cost based on the information we have at the beginning of the case this is then reviewed periodically. You may also agree to set a limit to the costs should you wish to do so. Work will stop as soon as the limit has been reached and you may set a new limit based on how your case is progressing.